On The Road
Hey there. For my first post, I thought that I'd share a passage from my favourite book "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. Perhaps, for a rather un-'American' girl its strange this classic American novel is one I read over and over and still find myself caught up in the fantasy each time. It also has one of my favourite characters of all time, Dean Moriarty. Dean and the whole book embodies my own kind of inner restless spirit, where all i want to do is just float along, live an innocently carefree, romantic and uninhibited existence. Who doesn't? That is why im so fond of 'On the Road'... but of course its an ideal in a real world.
"It was drizzling and mysterious at the beginning of our journey. I could see that it was going to be one big saga of the mist. 'Whoooee!' yelled Dean. 'Here we go!' And he hunched over the wheel and gunned her, he was back in his element, everybody could see that. We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one and noble function of the time, move. And we moved! We flashed past the mysterious white signs in the night somewhere in New Jersey that say SOUTH (with an arrow) and WEST (with an arrow) and took the south one. New Orleans! It burned in our brains.... We all jumped to the music and agreed. The purity of the road. The white line in the middle of the highway unrolled and hugged our left front tire as if glued to our groove. Dean hunched his muscular neck, T-shirted in the winter night, and blasted the car along. He insisted I drive through Baltimore for traffic practice; that was all right, except he and Marylou insisted on steering while they kissed and fooled around. It was crazy; the radio was on full blast. Dean beat drums on the dashboard till a great sag developed in it; I did too. the poor Hudson- the slow boat to China- was receiving her beating."
Hope I didn't go too far with the quote, I just love that section. If you haven't read the book, I really recommend you do! :)
cheers!

8 Comments:
The post was a good length. I've never read the book, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm glad you posted something I didn't know because that has exposed me to someone I've never heard of.
Wonderful :) I guess thats what is so cool about sharing these different pieces with eachother, I really appreciate learning new things. Hope you get to read the book one day.
On the Road...
What a life changing book. Surprising, but very cool to hear a girl take to the book that way,maybe not so surprising considering girls liking for the bad boy [Dean].
I read the book twice, the first time i put the book down and sighed, blown away.
Dharma bums...also a great read
Ideal, yes.
I read a bio of kerouac "memory babe" i believe, sobering to say the least. But still one of the best in American lit.
Surprising for a female? hahaha I suppose maybe, seeing as Dean and Sal are pretty disrespectful and offensive to many of the women in their lives. I wouldn't want to be treated that way, but it is part of the story and lifestyle for these men, they wouldn't have the same charm if they were gentlemanly. If that makes sense.
I am quite a fan of Dean, mostly because I love the care free attitude and the robustness of his personality. Who couldn't like Dean really?!
Ive read Dharma Bums and I actually loved reading it more than On The Road. I enjoyed the story more I think and it has more of a poetic nature to it. But I guess, On the Road is much more iconic.
I'll have to watch out for 'Memory Babe,' I really want to learn more about Jack Kerouac:)
Dean Moriarty{neal cassady} rode with ken kesey [one flew over the cookoos nest]and the merry pranksters on the magic bus, [liquid koolaid acid test]...poor neal died on the train tracks...
i think youve kind of lost me there...
Post a Comment
<< Home